Friday, December 1, 2017

Christmas Countdown Day 1 - Recycled K-Cup

Happy December 1!!!  And welcome to Day 1 of my countdown to Christmas!

Today I'm sharing with you a little recycle project -- nothing Stampin' Up! on this project, but it's so cute and fun I just had to share it with you to kick off my countdown!

As many of you know, I'm a BIG recycler.  Perhaps some would call me a hoarder, but I believe the current term for what I do is "upcycling."  (My sweet hubby feels the need to ask me every time he wants to toss anything if it's ok to trash it, or if it's an item I want to save to make something later.  And, of course, then he sighs and rolls his eyes when I tell him I'm sure it's something I can use . . . SOME DAY . . . .)

Click on image for closer look.
Materials

* Used K-cup from single serving coffee brewing system
* Black spray paint
* Stretchy cord
* 2-1/2" cardboard circle (I cut mine from an old cereal box)
* Ribbon
* Holly and berries
* Small bird
* Tear 'n Tape
* Hot glue
* Optional:  Rubber gloves or small trash bag

Instructions

1. Remove foil lid, coffee grounds, and filter from K-cup and wash thoroughly.

2. When dry, spray hat with black spray paint and allow to dry.  (NOTE:  No need to paint inside of hat since the bottom piece will hide that anyway.)

3. Decide how far down you want your ornament to hang, and then cut stretchy cord twice that length.  Fold in half and thread two ends of stretch cord through hole in top of K-cup; tie knot on inside of K-cup.  If you like, you can place a small dot of hot glue near hole on inside to hold the knot in place.

4. Use hot glue or other strong glue to adhere cardboard to open end of K-cup to form brim of hat.  If using a wet glue, allow to dry completely before moving to Step 5.  (I used Crystal Effects, a retired Stampin' Up! product to attach mine.)

5. TIP:  For this next step I put a small trash bag over my hand to avoid getting black spray paint on my hand and arm.  Hold hat with one hand covering hanging cord and spray black paint to cover brim.  Use hanging cord to hang hat somewhere where it won't be disturbed until paint dries.

6. Use Tear 'n Tape to adhere ribbon around hat.

7. Use Hot Glue to adhere holly leaves and berries over seam of ribbon, and to attach tiny bird on top of hat.

That's it!  This is a very easy and fun project, but does take a little time for the paint and glue to dry between steps.  I'm now saving ALL of my K-cups and thinking up some ideas for my next recycle -- er, UPCYCLE -- project!

Cathy  ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment