Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Another Spooky Banner!!!

Click on image for larger view.
I just can't seem to help myself!  There are so many other things I should be doing, but I just can't stop making fun Halloween stuff!  This banner was actually a special request from my co-worker who liked mine so well she wanted one too.  I told her I wouldn't make another one exactly like mine, so I found this other cute idea.  (Inspiration:  Post by Brittany Woodward on the Stampin' Up! Stampers Showcase)  (See my earlier post for updated information about my original Spooky Banner.)
Here are some closeup shots of the tags . . . and a little info about the materials used (unfortunately, many of the materials used in this particular banner are now retired, but there are other fun and funky materials still available in the current catalogs to build something similar).
The base piece (5" tall) was cut from 12" x 12" Cajun Craze card stock.  It's scored every 3-1/2" and then accordian-folded.  I just kept adding on strips until I had the length I needed to accommodate all the panels I wanted.  After it was folded, I cut the tops at a diagonal.  Then I cut slightly smaller pieces from Basic Gray card stock and glued them over the Cajun Craze base.  Then I cut 3-1/4" x 3-1/4" squares from Basic Black card stock, and 3" x 3" squares from last year's Frightful Sight designer series paper.  The letters were cut with the Serif Essentials Alphabet Bigz Die Set (also now retired by Stampin' Up!, but a similar alphabet set is now available -- these letters are about 2" tall -- the letters in the set now available (Typeset Alphabet) are about 1-1/4" tall -- that also would work.
After I added the squares to the banner, I decided the tops of each tag looked pretty bare, so I went back and cut shapes to fit into the empty space and ran them each through the Big Shot with either the Spiderweb, the Woodgrain, or the Elegant Lines embossing folder before gluing them over the Basic Gray tags.
Click on image for larger view.
Beginning at the left end of the banner, I left only about 1-1/2" on the Cajun Craze tag to accommodate the coffin.  The Basic Gray and Basic Black card stock were just cut on the paper cutter to the basic shape of a coffin.  The Basic Black was then run through the Big Shot with the Woodgrain embossing folder.  The letters R-I-P and the bats were cut from retired Sizzlits dies.
I used Cherry Cobbler Dazzling Details to add three dots to each letter, and also to add eyes to the bats.  The shapes were then covered with Crystal Effects and set aside to dry.  On the "S" panel, I added some fun little bat eyelets that I found somewhere in my stash.  On the "P" panel, I stamped the hat and boots from the "Wicked Cool" stamp set, colored in the stripes with a Tangerine Tango Stampin' Write Marker, and then covered them with Crystal Effects.
Click on image for larger view.
The faces, stems and vines on these two cute guys are from the Jack of All Trades set.  I added a little Dazzling Details to brighten their eyes, and then traced over the images with Crystal Effects.  (Yes, cutting out those vines was challenging, but so worth it!)
Click on image for larger view.
The chandelier image on the "Y" panel is from Wicked Cool.  Again, I added a little Dazzling Details to the flames, and then traced over the image with Crystal Effects.  The final panel is Vellum card stock embossed with the Spiderweb embossing folder.
The jumbo eyelets are retired Stampin' Up! items, as is the 1-1/4" striped grosgrain ribbon.  The 1/8" Taffeta ribbon used to tie the larger ribbon is a current item.
The last two things I did to this fun banner were to mix a little Platinum Shimmer Paint with some Early Espresso refill ink and some 70% alcohol and splatter it here and there with my Aqua Painter; then I mixed some Frost White Shimmer Paint with 70% alcohol to make my own glimmer mist, and used the Stampin' Spritzer to spritz the entire banner with this solution.
Here's wishing you a haunting Halloween!!!!!
Cath  ;D 

1 comment: