Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Fidget Spinner Card

Happy Tuesday Morning!!!  As promised in my most recent Stampin' Up! update, today is the day I get back to my blog and start catching up and cleaning up!

Today's card features a fidget spinner that actually spins!!!  I used this as my swap card for yesterday evening's Front Range Stampers demo meeting.  The challenge for that swap was "out-of-the-box punch/die shapes."  Ok, I didn't actually use the circles for anything other than circles, so it wasn't necessarily an "out-of-the-box" use of the shape, but it sure was fun to make!!!

Click on image for a closer look.
I spied this idea on Pinterest and thought it would make a great card for a young boy (I know my 6-year-old grandson will love it).  Listed below are the materials I used to make my card, as well as an explanation of how I made the paper for the fidget spinner.  Please visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TB7DOvBSk&app=desktop for a tutorial showing you how to make the fidget spinner itself.

Materials
Stamp Sets
* Marquee Messages (“Awesome!”)

* Swirly Bird (background splatter)
* Confetti Celebrations (“Let’s Celebrate” inside)
Paper
* Pacific Point card stock (8-1/2" x 5-1/2”
* Basic Black card stock (5-1/8” x 3-7/8”; 4-5/8” x 1”; 4” x 1-1/2” for punch shapes)
* Daffodil Delight card stock (5” x 3-3/4”)
* Glossy White card stock (3” x 3”; 4-5/8” x 1”)
* Silver Foil card stock (1” x 3”)
Ink
* Daffodil Delight Refill Ink
* Lemon-Lime Twist Refill Ink
* Pacific Point Refill Ink
* Basic Black Archival Ink Pad
Accessories and Tools
* 1/2” Circle Punch
* 3/4” Circle Punch
* 1” Circle Punch
* 1-1/4” Circle Punch
* Triple Banner Punch
* Adhesives: SNAIL Adhesive; Stampin’ Dimensionals; Glue Dots
Miscellaneous Items
* Rubbing Alcohol
* Cotton Balls
* 2 Pennies

* Fidget Spinner

Instructions to make fidget spinner paper
(NOTE:  I made a full sheet of paper, plus a few partial sheets because I needed to make several cards.  If you're making only one card, you will need only a 3" x 3" square of glossy white paper.) 

To make this paper you will need from the above list of materials:
* Glossy White card stock
* Refill Ink
* Cotton Balls
* Rubbing Alcohol

1. Apply rubbing alcohol to cotton ball (enough to saturate the cotton ball, but not so much that it's dripping). Apply several drops of refill ink to the cotton ball.  Since I wanted the main color of my spinner to be Pacific Point, that's the color I started with, and I smeared it all over the shiny side of the card stock leaving open spaces to add other colors.

2. Repeat with Daffodil Delight, filling in most of the blank areas.

3. Repeat with Lemon-Lime Twist, dabbing randomly in empty spaces and over the other two colors.

That's it!!!  The ink dries very quickly and then you're ready to cut out your fidget spinner.  Not wanting to waste any of my hand-made designer paper, I punched a bunch of 1/2" circles out of the scraps to add to the inside of my card (see photo below).

NOTE 1:  You also can add more than one color to your cotton ball if you want to have more of a mottled look.  The only thing I would caution about that is that the ink can blend together and become muddy looking very quickly.  The reason I applied the three colors individually is because this allowed time for each color to dry before adding the next, and I wanted the three distinct colors to show up,

NOTE 2:  If you have some retired Stampin' Up! metallic refill ink, you also could repeat the process daubing some here and there to give the paper a little pizzazz. Just be aware that the metallic inks generally take a bit longer to dry.

Inside of card - click for a closer look.
Hope you enjoy making this card as much as I did.  It's just so much fun spinning that little guy once it's finished; no one who sees it can resist trying it!

I'll be back tomorrow morning with a fun little pocket card we made at my June 2017 New Catalog Open House.

Cathy ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment