Sunday, February 22, 2015

Two-Pocket Treat Pouch (February Class Project)

Wow!  I can't believe it's been more than three weeks since I posted anything on my blog!  I don't know how all that time slipped by!  (Perhaps because I was in Valentine's Day card and little chocolate gift-box making frenzy?  Sold a bunch of that stuff in a little impromptu sale at my office.)

In any event, here is info about the first project we made in my February classes.  (Note there will be only two shown this month because the third project was the Faux Stamped Leather card I made for my Front Range Stampers swap; the details for that card and technique are in my January 27 post.)

First, we made this sweet little gift card/treat holder.  (We used some Stampin' Up! Designer Series Paper -- FlowerPot -- to make the ones in class, but pictured are the ones I made for my Valentine's Day sale out of pink and red retired Designer Series Paper -- put a tiny little gift card in the front pocket and a small bag of m&ms in the back pocket.  They sold like crazy!)


Materials:

Paper:
* Designer Series Paper (DSP) of your choice (6" x 6")
* Coordinating DSP for bow (approximately 6" x 3")

Accessories and Tools:
* Simply Scored
* Bone Folder
* Corner Punch
* Small Oval Punch
* Bow Builder Punch (Occasions 2015 Mini Catalog, pg. 15)

Instructions:
(NOTE:  After each fold, use Bone Folder to reinforce and make crease nice and crisp)

1. Fold 6" x 6" DSP in half diagonally.

2. Line up folded edge of paper against top of Simply Scored (it should measure 8-1/2" across), and score at 2-3/4" and 5-3/4".

3. Line up folded edge of paper against left side of Simply Scored and score at 1/2".

4. Open up paper completely and turn it so 2-3/4" and 5-3/4" scores are vertical, and re-fold as follows:

* Fold left side toward center along 2-3/4" score line.
* Fold right side over left side along 5-3/4" score line. 
* Fold in half from top to bottom along original center fold (pockets should face each other).
* Fold top half up at 1/2" score line.
* Flip over and fold other side up at 1/2" score line.

You now have your basic two-pocket pouch.  From here everything else is just embellishment.

To complete these sweet little packets, I used the Corner Punch to round the top point; I then used the Small Oval Punch to punch through both thicknesses of paper near the top to create the handle.

If you like, you can thread ribbon or twine through the handle and tie a bow or knot to hold the two pockets together at the top.  For mine, I placed a glue dot between the front and back just above the oval punch near the corner, and then made a sweet little bow using the Bow Builder Punch and adhered it at the top with another glue dot.

For the sweet little note card, I cut a piece of card stock 4-2/5" x 2-1/2" and folded it in half to make a 2-1/8" x 2-1/2" note card.  The little piece of DSP on the front is 1-7/8" x 2-1/4".  The hearts shown are not Stampin' Up! dies, but these little pockets also look great with punched flowers and/or butterflies.

For step-by-step instructions and a video tutorial showing how to make this two-pocket pouch, visit  http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/twopockettreatholder/.  (Note that Becky Roberts, the person who did the tutorial, says to score at 2-3/4" and 5-5/8" . . . I think it comes out more even with the 5-3/4" score I mentioned above.)

NOTE:  To make a larger pocket, simply cut your paper larger -- any size square will work -- you will just need to adjust the score lines.  I've made a couple of pockets out of 8" x 8" paper -- for those the score lines were at 3-3/4" and 7-1/2".

Have fun!

Cath  ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment