Saturday, March 26, 2011
March Workshop Technique: Embossed Reinker Spread
"Embossed Reinker Spread" is a wonderful technique created by my friend Crystal French, a Stampin' Up! Senior Supervisor who lives in Centennial, CO. Crystal was featured in the March 2011 issue of "Stampin' Success," the monthly Stampin' Up! publication for demonsrators! This card, by the way, is also Crystal's design, and she was kind enough to let me use it for my March 12 workshops.
* Thanks for Caring (121901-w, $19.95; 121961-c, $14.95; set of 6)*
* Fresh Cuts (111634-w, $21.95, set of 5)
* Perfect Plum card stock (8-1/2" x 5-1/2"; 2-1/4" x 1-1/4" scrap for punch
* Sahara Sand card stock (5-1/4" x 4")
* Regal Rose card stock (5-1/4" x 2-1/8")
* Certainly Celery card stock (5-1/4" x 1-7/8")
* Shimmery White card stock (5-1/4" x 1-3/8"; 2" x 1" scrap for punch)
* Whisper White Craft Stampin' Pad
* Perfect Plum Craft Stampin' Spot
* Perfect Plum Classic Stampin' Pad and VersaMark
* Perfect Plum Classic Refill Ink
* Regal Rose Classic Refill Ink
* Certainly Celery Classic Refill Ink
* Optional: Perfect Plum Classic Stampin' Pad
Stampin' Up! Accessories:
* Sizzix Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
* Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Embossing Folders
* Scallop Oval Punch
* 1-3/4" x 7/8" Oval Punch
* Scallop Trim Border Punch
* White Embossing Powder
* Clear Embossing Powder
* Heat Tool
* Aqua Painter (or paint brush)
* SNAIL Adhesive
* Stampin' Dimensionals
* Spray Bottle filled with water
* Paint tray
1. Stamp several butterfly images (Thanks for Caring stamp set) on Shimmery White card stock. Place a drop of refill ink in separate compartments of the paint tray (or use a plastic plate). Spritz water over the embossed images. Using an Aqua Painter or a wet paintbrush, pick up a small amount of ink and touch it to the edge of one of the butterfly wings and watch the ink spread across the water. Repeat in several areas of the embossed images. Repeat with other two colors until card stock is covered with color. For best results, start with lightest color and end with the darkest color. Set aside to dry.
2. Score 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" card stock at 4-1/4"; fold away from scoreline to create card.
3. Use Embossing Folder and Big Shot to emboss Saraha Sand card stock; adhere to front of card.
4. Trim one long edge of both Regal Rose and Certainly Celery card stock with Scallop Trim Border Punch. Adhere Regal Rose card stock to front of card with scallops facing to the left side of the card. Adhere Certainly Celery card stock over Regal Rose card stock. When Shimmery White card stock is dry, adhere over Certainly Celery card stock.
5. Punch Scallop Oval from scrap of Perfect Plum card stock. Use Perfect Plum Craft Stampin' Spot** to stamp Thank You image (Fresh Cuts set) on scrap of Shimmery White card stock; emboss with Clear Embossing Powder; cut out image with Oval Punch; adhere to Scallop Oval. Use Stampin' Dimensionals to adhere Scallop Oval to front of card as shown.
6. Optional: Cut a piece of 5-1/4" x 4" Whisper White card stock. Use Perfect Plum Classic Stampin' Pad to stamp flower image (Thanks for Caring Set) in lower left hand corner, and butterfly image in upper right hand corner; adhere to inside of card.
* 2011 Occasions Mini Catalog
** If you don't have Craft ink, you can cheat a little by inking up your stamp with the VersaMark pad, and then Perfect Plum Classic Stampin' Pad, and then stamping the image; emboss with Clear Embossing Powder.
The thing I like best about this card is that every one you make will look different depending on how the ink spreads!