Sunday, December 12, 2010
Holiday Snow Glass Ornament
Totally easy, but a little messy, this is a perfect ornament for a frilly, iridescent look.
* Snow Swirled (wood only - 111690, $24.95; set of 6)
Stampin' Up! Accessories:
* Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
* Circles #2 Bigz Die
* White Embossing Powder
* Iridescent Ice Embossing Powder
* Heat Tool
* 3/16" Circle Punch
* White Taffeta Ribbon - about 30"
* White Organza Ribbon - about 8"
* Clear Tinsel Trim (2010 Holiday Mini Catalog) - about 8"
* 2-5/8" iridescent glass ornament
* Soft craft snow flakes (I found mine at Hobby Lobby -- they are called "Twinkle Flakes")
* Spoon and funnel
* Laser Transparency Sheet
* White or clear thread (about 24") and needle
1. Use Big Shot and Die to cut 2-1/2" circle from Laser Transparency Sheet (you also may trace a 2-1/2" circle and cut it out with scissors).
2. Use Versamark to stamp snowflake in center of circle.
3. Mix White and Iridescent Ice Embossing Powder and sprinkle over snowflake. Melt with Heat Tool, and set aside to cool.
4. When cooled, punch 1/16" hole about 1/4" from edge of circle. Thread white or clear thread through hole and tie in a knot at edge of circle, leaving ends free.
5. Curl circle into a tube with thread at one end of tube, and push into ornament, leaving thread hanging out of the opening.
6. Use a spoon and a funnel to drop small amounts of craft snow into ornament -- two or three spoonsful should be enough.
7. There should be two holes in the top of the ornament lid where the wire hanger is attached. Feed each end of the thread through one of the holes and tie in a knot; trim thread close to knot. (The purpose of the thread is to hold the snowflake upright; otherwise, it's likely to fall on its side and you won't be able to see it very well.)
8. Fold long taffeta ribbon in half; holding the two ends together, feed through the wire on top of ornament and pull until you have a hanging loop the length you want, then tie in a knot around the wire.
9. Thread organza ribbon and tinsel trim through the same wire and tie in a knot. If desired, tie remaining ends of taffeta ribbon into a bow. Trim ribbon and tinsel trim to whatever length you like.
Now you have a sparkly, iridescent ornament to enjoy or gift as a gift.