Sunday, March 14, 2010
Valita's Pop-up Card
This was one of my 03/13/10 Workshop Projects, based on a design by Valita, a Stampin' Up! demonstrator in Australia. Visit Valita's Designs & Fresh Folds at http://valitasfreshfolds.blogspot.com/search/label/Pop%20ups to watch a video showing this technique.
Below are the materials and instructions for my version of Valita's card.
• Spring Song
(115074; set of 3; $15.95)
• Teeny Tiny Wishes
(115370; set of 24; $36.95)
• So Saffron card stock: 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"; scrap for punch
• Old Olive card stock: 5" x 3-3/4"; scrap for punch & die
• Whisper White card stock: 4-3/4" x 3-1/2"; 5-1/4" x 10" (inside); scraps for punches
• Bordering Blue card stock: Scrap for punch
• Welcome Neighbor Designer Series Paper Pad (Sale-a-Bration): Scraps for punches & die
• Sweet Pea Designer Series Paper*: Scraps for punches & die
• Basic Black Classic Stampin’ Pad
• Bordering Blue Classic ink refill
• Going Gray Stampin' Write Marker
Stampin’ Up! Accessories
• Sizzix Big Shot
• Stampin' Up! Beautiful Wings Embosslit Die*
• Stampin' Up! Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Folder*
• Extra Large Two-Step Bird Punch*
• Boho Flowers Punch
• Modern Label Punch
• Scallop Oval Punch
• Wide Oval Punch
• Eyelet Border Punch
• Window Sheets or acetate sheets
• Stampin' Sponge
• 2-Way Glue pen
• Mini Glue Dots
• SNAIL Adhesive
• Stampin’ Dimensionals
• Optional: Crystal Effects
* 2010 Occasions Mini Catalog
1. Score 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" So Saffron cardstock at 4 7/16" and 4 9/16"; fold away from score lines to create card (this will create a wide fold in the center to accommodate the thickness of the pop-up portion of the card).
2. Score 5 1/4" x 10" Whisper White cardstock at 4", 5", and 6". Flip paper to opposite side and score at 4 1/2" and 5 1/6". Fold away from all score lines accordian-style. The center fold will look like an "M" at this point. Turn paper over and place sticky strip between the two outside folds; when you press the two folds together, you should have a "V" in the center of the card. Put sticky strip on both inside flaps of "V", but don't remove backing yet.
3. Use the Boho Blossoms Punch to make a bunch of flowers, and the Beautiful Wings die to cut a bunch of butterflies out of Designer Series Paper; cut six 3" x 1/4" and six 3 1/2" x 1/4" strips from Window Sheets or acetate sheets. Randomly adhere flowers and butterflies to one end of each acetate strip with Mini Glue Dots. Be sure to put flowers/butterflies on back sides of strips too.
4. Remove backing from sticky strip on one side of "V" and adhere acetate strips to sticky strip (make sure your flowers and butterflies don't hang over edge of cardstock so they stay within the card when it's closed); remove backing from opposite of "V" and fold closed to hold acetate strips in place. (Optional: Use a decorative edge punch to trim long edge of two pieces of 1" x 6" Designer Series Paper; adhere one piece to each side of base of flowers and butterflies to create a decorative finish; snip off excess on each end. If you like, you can stamp a greeting on the front strip before adhering.)
5. Flip card insert over and adhere sticky strip along each side of center seam. Carefully line up center seam with inside center fold of So Saffron card stock. Remove backing from sticky strip and fold up sides of card.
6. Use Big Shot and Perfect Polka Dots Textured Impressions Folder to create raised dots on Whisper White cardstock. Use Extra Large Two-Step Bird Punch to cut bird and two wings from Bordering Blue and one branch from Old Olive card stock. Stamp greeting on Whisper White card stock with Basic Gray Classic Stampin' and punch out with Modern Label Punch. Punch a Wide Oval from Old Olive cardstock; punch Scallop Oval from So Saffron card stock. Use some of the flowers and small butterflies punched in Step 3 above to make elements to add to front of card. (Optional: Use Crop-a-Dile to punch dots out of Whisper White card stock for centers of flowers.)
7. Use Stampin' Sponge and Bordering Blue Classic Stampin' Pad to sponge color around edges of Whisper White card stock, and then lightly rub over entire piece to add color to raised dots; sponge Bordering Blue around edges of Bird and Wings, and ends of greeting on Modern Label.
8. Use SNAIL Adhesive to adhere Old Olive card stock to front of card and Whisper White card stock over Old Olive. Use Two-Way Glue Pen to adhere branch to Whisper White; adhere back wing and bird over branch with Mini Glue Dots; adhere top wing over bird with a Stampin' Dimensional. Use SNAIL Adhesive to adhere Scallop Oval to Wide Oval; adhere greeing over scallop oval; adhere piece to front of card with Mini Glue Dots. Adhere flowers and butterfly to front of card with Mini Glue Dots.
9. Use Basic Gray Stampin' Write Pen to draw eye on bird and antenna on butterfly.
10. Optional: Apply Crystal Effects to centers of flowers to add a bit of shine.
Hope this wasn't too confusing. Watching Valita's video will be very helpful for you. Enjoy!!!